Senior Commercial Manager
London, £95,000–£115,000 plus bonus, healthcare, pension and flex bens
Reporting to the Commercial Director you will have responsibility for commercial contracts, frameworks and partnerships deals across London projects.
This role requires a strategic approach to cost management, meticulous attention to detail, and a deep understanding of the unique challenges associated with residential developments, mixed-use and hotel construction. You will lead on key elements of the procurement strategy to enable the group to agree partnerships with key suppliers and manufacturers. Your objective would be to ensure our client forms long term, mutually beneficial and trust-based relationships with supply base, to minimise risk, create best value, drive savings, lock out competitors and ensure quality.
You will work alongside their Project Team to provide support through negotiation, advocacy for commercial design practices, and evolving the design standards.
About the Client
A leading global developer with a proven track record of delivering innovative residential projects. With a commitment to excellence, we are dedicated to transforming ideas into tangible, thriving communities. We are an ambitious company with big plans, and we expect a lot from our employees. In return we offer a vibrant working environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package. They prioritise professional growth and development, providing ongoing training and opportunities for career advancement.
Join the team and be part of our exciting journey to shape the future of residential development while enjoying a fulfilling and rewarding career with us.
The duties of the Senior Commercial Manager include, but are not limited to:
• Regularly report and provide support to Commercial Director/Head of Project, or as directed, on all project related matters and liaise as necessary with counterparts in Head Office
• Act as a commercial lead on partnership agreements with all key construction partners, consultants and selected product manufacturers.
• Act as the key client representative to ensure commercial standards are achieved for the projects in development, and reporting on the delivery.
• Provide cost and commercial advice to the client on key decisions required for design and procurement.
• To support Development Team and conduce through due diligence for development appraisal and viability assessments.
• Collaborate with Project Team to establish and manage project budgets for inception, design, construction and operational phases.
• To develop market intelligence and ensure appropriate procurement strategies are adopted.
• Develop procurement and tender processes for the group allowing the capability to deliver cost savings across the various brands and regions.
• Lead the tendering process for construction contracts and evaluate and negotiate contracts with contractors and suppliers.
• Ability to drive best value through all commercial relationships while maintaining a positive working partnership with all suppliers.
• To maintain, monitor and review performance of supplier activities to drive improved service delivery, value for money, reduced lifecycle costs and to meet all of projects objectives.
• Provide input into the strategies developed for Global Procurement, Modular Construction and Off-Site Construction techniques.
• In conjunction with legal counsel, external consultants and project manager, prepare and review the deed of appointments for the consultant’s appointment and the building contract for the contractors.
• To monitor and review the payments and invoices from suppliers and contractors in accordance with the internal payment approval process.
• To build and maintain in-house cost database and benchmark information.
• To be the day to day commercial contact dealing with the funder and/or the monitor surveyor.
Experience: Experience of senior commercial management within a consultancy, developer or main contracting organisation. Experience of leading on high-value residential development schemes
• University Degree or equivalent qualification in construction management, quantity surveying or construction management. Membership of RICS preferable
• Experienced commercial professional, used to managing and assisting in appointing external contractors and third-party suppliers.
• Thrives within a fast-paced, commercial environment.
• Tough negotiator who drives value out of schemes, but builds sustainable relationships with suppliers that are mutually beneficial.
• Highly numerate and contractually aware.
• Excellent written and verbal communication. Shaping communication to the needs of the audience, conveying ideas and clear instructions.
• Strong analytical and strategic thinking skills
• Competitive salary
• Discretionary annual bonus
• 26 days annual leave
• Company Pension Scheme
• Private health insurance
• Voluntary benefits including gym membership discounts, cycle to work and retailer discounts