Workplace Boredom and how to FIX it.
Workplace boredom is a problem, but one that can be overcome and fixed through a multitude of different techniques or questions you need to ask yourself if you find yourself bored and unproductive at work.
Why are you bored at work? There can be a few reasons for this.
- Are your surroundings uninspiring or not stimulating enough to encourage high productivity?
- Do you feel the job you are doing is not leading to any personal growth or is too repetitive?
- Are you taking sufficient breaks throughout the day?
- Are you sitting idle for too long throughout the day?
- Do you feel you have a long-term goal within the job or does the job you are doing help you toward that goal?
Do any of these questions resonate with how you are feeling? If so there are some quick fixes you can do to help.
- You cannot change the entire office to suit what you want it to look like, but your desk is your workspace. Having some pictures or decorations that make you feel more at home should help encourage you to be productive.
- Vary your work, if you have multiple projects or tasks happening at the same time then going between the two is a good way to keep your mind engaged as the tasks are changing. this restimulates you to keep engaged with the task at hand.
- Remember taking a break, even for a couple of minutes to stretch your legs and get some fresh air is more than fine. Constantly sitting at the desk and procrastinating will not help matters, it may help you refocus and come back to your work with a fresh perspective.
- If you do find yourself without much work during the day, use that time to get ahead. Plan out new tasks or projects keep your focus forward and you will always have things to be doing.
- Communication and social is a key aspect of daily life, especially in the working environment. Having those "watercooler chats" can break up the day and make feel refreshed allowing you to get back to work and be productive.
- STICK TO YOUR SCHEDULE. This can not be any clearer, having a balance between work and life is paramount. Go read the other blog post here for a more in-depth look at this.
The above are only quick fixes if you find yourself struggling with boredom on the occasion, these are unlikely to work if you suffer from this every day. If the boredom is already "chronic" then the best choice may well be to seek a move elsewhere. If that is the case then do not hesitate to contact one of Spencelooker's consultants who will be happy to discuss your options and our vacancies and get you in the best place for you. You can reach us through LinkedIn or contact us directly through email.