Brief Job Description:
- Responsibility for delivering and ensuring a comprehensive property management service to all the assets within a region; ensuring compliance with contractual and regulatory obligations; and ensuring customer satisfaction is maximised.
- Technical Capabilities
To be responsible for the proactive delivery of all property management activities to a portfolio of assets within a region.
- Liaise and work closely with the FM Managed Service Provider where required, in particular, to ensure planned maintenance regimes are created and adhered to as appropriate so that all properties remain in the required state of repair.
- Seek to identify and implement continuous improvement initiatives in all aspects of property management which drive a culture of being best in class, ensuring quality of service, and which places our customers and occupiers at the heart of the business.
- Prepare, manage and reconcile service charge budgets in accordance with the RICS Code of Practice to deliver value for money to occupiers, and ensure expenditure is accounted for correctly.
- Ensure all landlord and tenant lease obligations are adhered to and where breaches are encountered deal with these in a timely manner, minimising potential costs and liabilities.
- Deal with occupier applications to assign, sublet, alter etc in accordance with the terms of the lease, having regard to the Asset Plan/Portfolio Strategy, in accordance with landlord and tenant legislation.
- Undertake periodic property inspections in accordance with company guidelines to verify condition and ensure tenant and landlord lease obligations are adhered to and that risks to property values through disrepair are reduced to a minimum.
- Inspect each site annually as a minimum and at greater frequency where multi-let or lease activity is in process.
- Utilise inspections to identify potential asset value enhancement opportunities.
- Engage with occupiers to obtain advance indications of occupancy intentions and/or opportunities to enhance the asset.
- Provide support to any ongoing Asset Management initiatives in respect of the completion of site specific strategy documents / plans for each asset to ensure that relevant maintenance and management aspects are incorporated and to manage in line with the Asset Plan/Portfolio Strategy.
- Work closely with the administrative team to ensure that the property database is kept up to date at all times. The responsibility for the database being accurate and current rests with the Property Manager.
- Work with colleagues within your Regional Group and all departments in the business to identify opportunities to improve operational efficiency and reduce non-recoverable costs associated with the portfolio.
- Support efforts to ensure the achievement of the company’s Social Impact and Sustainability objectives including the delivery of improvements to the energy efficiency of existing buildings within the region.
- Ensure a valid Energy Performance Certification (EPC) is in place for all properties under your responsibility within the region.
- Work with the Asset Manager(s) to identify properties (below Band B) where there are unlikely to be any improvements to the Energy Performance Certification (EPC) as a consequence of asset enhancement activities and take responsibility for the identification of solutions to achieve Band B, creating cost budgets and seeking financial approval accordingly.
- Identify any properties within your portfolio which have a rating below Band D and agree a plan of action with the Investment team.
- Proactively manage customer relationships and maximise customer satisfaction, seeking to improve customer satisfaction scores year on year.
- Be the principal point of contact for occupier liaison.
- Implement and adhere to the following response times:
- If relating to Facilities Management activity, divert email/call to the FM Managed Service Provider upon receipt and notify occupier of diversion within 24 hours.
- If general query from occupier, send holding response within 24 hours and full response, or update on progress, within 72 hours.
- Endeavour to meet with occupiers at inspection.
- Follow up after inspection with written outline of findings and future actions (if any) in a timely manner.
- Work in partnership (via regular review and discussion) with the Asset Manager(s) to ensure there is agreement on the plans and ongoing activities for each asset and a seamless service can be delivered to our customers.
- Collaborate with colleagues within your Regional Group and from across the business to identify opportunities for improved operational efficiency.
- Work in collaboration with the FM Managed Service Provider to support the creation and implementation of a 5 year PPM for each asset.
- Liaise closely with the FM Managed Service Provider and Finance throughout the service charge cycle (see Financial section below).
- Periodically meet with the FM Managed Service Provider to discuss and collaborate on H&S, Finance and Property Information items, providing any required information.
- Share knowledge and contacts and support business development activities within the region by leveraging customer relationships to identify opportunities for asset enhancement, development and investment.
- Be involved in and support discussions relating to suppliers of property management services to ensure that best value is derived and that a coordinated approach is undertaken.
- Support the achievement of wider business objectives through the proactive identification of revenue generating opportunities that will support business growth; and to liaise and collaborate with colleagues from across the business to ensure delivery as appropriate.
- Financial Budget Management
- Create and maintain a full income and expenditure account for each property within your portfolio, incorporating each asset’s 5-year PPM schedule and other relevant items to provide best operational and financial efficiency.
- Be responsible for the creation and management of service charge and any non-recoverable cost budgets and schedules, and the prompt recharging of relevant sums to customers / occupiers through close liaison with the property finance team.
- Hold responsibility for overseeing the contracted rent roll and ensuring periodic charges under the lease are valid and correct. E.g., ensuring correct demands are sent out to tenants and liaising with the finance team to agree the right approach in a timely manner.
- Liaise closely with the finance team and have responsibility for the management of the rent collection and credit control process for the regional portfolio and setting and co-ordinating strategy for the treatment of any debtors.
- Take responsibility for ensuring the ongoing insurance of each building within your portfolio and to coordinate relevant claims made in respect of any of the properties within your portfolio.
Health and Safety (H&S)
- Maintain awareness of current H&S legislation and trends.
- Ensure relevant risk assessments as part of Landlord obligations are undertaken.
- Hold responsibility for managing the risks identified from risk assessments within the portfolio of properties.
- Liaise frequently with the FM Managed Service Provider regarding properties under your remit and monitor progress on active jobs.
- Escalate any outstanding H&S issues as per protocol if action is delayed.
- Notify the H&S Advisor promptly of any incidents you become aware of at a property within your portfolio.
- Build strong communication links with the FM Managed Service Provider and provide support and information to its team as needed.
- Work closely with the FM Managed Service Provider to ensure compliance with relevant legal and other regulatory and statutory requirements within the region and across all regions as necessary.
Compliance with Legislation and Statute
Maintain awareness of current relevant legislation and trends.
Alert the compliance partner and/or legal partner immediately of any known transgression.
Compliance with Assura Protocols and Processes
- Follow company processes relevant to the Property Management role.
- Be responsible for the efficient integration of new acquisitions or developments into the Portfolio and onto the relevant property databases as soon as reasonably practical after completion.
- Escalate Lease risk events to Regional Manager and the Risk committee.
- Represent the company professionally in all activities and interactions with third parties.
- Assist and guide colleagues as necessary.
- Maintain accurate and up to date records of all interactions with occupiers.
Displays behaviours conducive to a leadership role.
- Understands our corporate direction and standards and leads by example.
- Collaborates with colleagues to follow strategic plans and targets.
- Shows ability to encourage trust and energy from colleagues.
- Considers others’ views and will apply effective problem-solving.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience & Qualifications:
- Good “people” skills.
- Good communication skills.
- Previous property management experience.
- Previous experience of service charge management.
- Strong knowledge of property legislation.
- Awareness of Health & Safety legislation.
- Knowledge of Word, Excel and Property Management Systems.
- Ability to think laterally about property solutions.
- Member of RICS or AssocRICS, or working towards membership.
- Need to travel regionally and occasionally stay overnight in various locations.
- Full and clean UK driving licence essential.
- On call out of hours.
- Willing to be flexible with working hours.
- Attend all team and wider staff meetings.
- Maintain required CPD log (if RICS chartered) and attend other agreed on-going training.